This shrimp and crab fondue recipe is really a seafood broth recipe. The seafood listed in the ingredients will make the broth only. You will need to buy more seafood to use as dippers for your fondue night.
This crab and shrimp broth can be prepared up to a day ahead of time and kept in the refrigerator. Simply take out about 30 minutes before your guests arrive and reheat on the stove. You can also change this seafood broth recipe by adding more spices if you like it spicy or adding lobster or other fish and/or seafood.
Seafood Fondue Broth
|1 kg||(2.2 lb)||Crab and Shrimp|
|15 ml||(1 tbsp)||Olive Oil|
|1||Celery Stalk, Thinly Sliced|
|1||Medium Carrot, Thinly Sliced|
|1||Medium Onion, Thinly Sliced|
|1||Small Hot or Mild Pepper, Thinly Sliced|
|2||Medium Tomatoes, Diced|
|1||Garlic Clove, Minced|
|2 ml||(1/2 tsp)||Tarragon|
|To Taste||Salt and Pepper|
|500 ml||(2 cups)||Fish Broth|
|250 ml||(1 cup)||Dry White Wine|
|1||Salt and Pepper|
|Assortment of Dippers|
1. Rinse the crab and shrimp and cook in the oven at 300 F (150 C) for about 45 minutes.
2. In a large pot, warm up the oil.
3. Add the vegetables, herbs, and seafood and stir for a few minutes.
4. Add the seafood broth and wine and bring to a boil.
5. Lower the heat and let simmer for about 1 hour.
6. Using a slotted spoon, take out the crab and shrimp and let it cool on a plate for about 15 minutes.
7. Remove the shells and other parts that aren’t edible and use a blender to make a paste out of shrimp and crab meat.
8. Return the crab and shrimp meat to the pot and let it boil for another 15 minutes.
9. Taste the broth and adjust spices and salt and pepper if needed.
10. Use a strainer if you want and transfer the mixture into your fondue pot. Keep the extra broth in a pot on the stovetop on low heat to replenish as needed.
11. Carefully light the fondue burner and adjust the heat to maintain the broth to the right temperature. If it’s too hot, it will evaporate quickly, and if it’s not hot enough, your food will take a long time to cook.
12. Cook your pieces of bread, vegetables, and other dippers into the delicious seafood broth.
13. Transfer the cooked dippers onto a regular fork and dip into one of your seafood fondue dips.
14. Enjoy and repeat but no double-dipping!
Here are a few dippers that you can use with this seafood fondue recipe:
- French Bread
- Shrimp, Peeled and De-veined
- Salmon Cubes
- Steamed Cauliflower
- Cooked Potatoes
Use your imagination and have fun with this shrimp and crab fondue recipe!
Make sure to get the right equipment for your fondue as this type of fondue requires a pot that can withstand high heat. The Cuisinart CFO-3SS Electric Fondue Maker
is suitable for this type of fondue.
You can also add lobster meat to the above broth recipe or try this other seafood fondue recipe: Lobster Fondue Recipe.
Return from this shrimp and crab fondue recipe to seafood fondue.