Make sure to use the right fondue equipment and take safety precautions to ensure no one gets burned with the hot melted cheese.
But most importantly, enjoy every bite of this delicious cheese fondue.
Traditionally, the Swiss used to melt Gruyère and Emmenthal cheese, and this basic cheese fondue recipe is based on that. Feel free to improvise and add a few touches of your own to this easy cheese fondue recipe.
Basic Cheese Fondue Recipe
|2||Garlic Cloves, Cut in Half|
|250 ml||(1 cup)||Dry White Wine*|
|225 g||(1/2 lb)||Gruyère Cheese*, Shredded|
|225 g||(1/2 lb)||Emmenthal Cheese*, Shredded|
|15 ml||(1 Tbsp)||Lemon Juice|
|15 ml||(1 Tbsp)||Cornstarch|
|30 ml||(2 Tbsp)||Kirsch|
|2 ml||(1/2 tsp)||Nutmeg|
|2 ml||(1/2 tsp)||Paprika|
*You should have a little more wine and cheese on hand to adjust the consistency if needed. Add more cheese if it's too liquid, add more wine if it's too thick.
1. Rub the garlic inside the fondue pot then discard.
2. Pour the white wine and lemon juice into the pot and turn on the burner.
3. Let the wine and lemon juice warm up without boiling.
4. Reduce heat and add the shredded cheese.
5. With a wooden spoon, mix well and stir regularly.
6. Dilute the cornstarch in the Kirsch, and add the remaining ingredients to the pot.
7. Add pepper to taste.
8. If the mixture is too hard, add wine. If the mixture is too soft, add cheese.
9. Dip bite-sized pieces of bread or vegetables.
10. Let the freshly dipped pieces cool off for a few seconds, then enjoy and repeat but no double-dipping!
Note: Italian or French bread (baguette) makes excellent dippers when cut into small pieces. You can also try mild green or red peppers, zucchini slices, steamed broccoli or cauliflower, or whatever else you're in the mood for.
Tip: If you ask your guests to make a figure 8 while dipping, this will ensure that the cheese mixture gets constantly stirred.
Check out the other easy cheese fondue recipes listed on our website by visiting our sitemap.
Good food recipes always start in a cozy kitchen. Go ahead and plan a delicious meal to follow your cheese fondue appetizer. This site has many delicious recipes for main meals and appetizers or you can also try their drink recipes. Yummy!
If you liked this easy cheese fondue recipe, you'll like these other fondue recipes. Make sure to visit this page often for more cheese fondue recipes. Easy recipes are simply fantastic!