If you want to make this fondue alcohol-free, simply substitute 250 ml of milk (1 cup) for the beer and replace the cayenne pepper/dry mustard with nutmeg.
Welsh Rarebit Fondue Recipe
|30 ml||(2 Tbsp)||Butter|
|250 ml||(1 cup)||Beer (Ale)|
|550 g||(1 lb)||Aged cheddar cheese, shredded|
|30 ml||(2 Tbsp)||Flour|
|2 ml||(1/2 tsp)||Cayenne pepper|
|5 ml||(1 tsp)||Dry mustard|
|Salt and pepper|
1. Melt the butter in the cheese fondue pot.
2. Add beer and warm it up without bringing it to a boil.
3. Reduce heat. Mix the shredded cheese with flour, and gradually add the cheese/flour mixture.
4. Mix with a wooden spoon and let it melt. Keep adding more cheese until all of it is melted.
5. Add remaining ingredients.
6. Add salt and pepper to taste.
7. If the mixture is too hard, add beer. If the mixture is too soft, add cheese.
8. Dip toast into the melted cheese.
9. Let the toast cool off for a few seconds, then enjoy and repeat but no double-dipping!
Note: This Welsh dish was invented centuries ago but instead of dipping the toast in the fondue, the cheese was poured onto the toast… I say potato, you say potato.