This vegetable fondue recipe is perfect for the strictest of vegetarians or vegans. It doesn’t contain any meat or other animal products but you can also add such items if you want to.
It’s a shabu shabu fondue recipe with lots of vegetables and tofu alternatives. You can serve it with rice as a side dish at a few Shabu Fondue Dips.
Shabu Vegetable Fondue Recipe with Broth
|1500 ml||(6 cups)||Vegetable Stock|
|4||Green Onions, Thinly Sliced|
|1||Small Onion, Diced|
|15 ml||(1 tbs)||Fresh Ginger, Grated|
|2||Garlic Cloves, Crushed|
|30 ml||(2 tbs)||Fresh Cilantro Leaves, Thinly Sliced|
|45 ml||(3 tbs)||Japanese Soy Sauce|
|To Taste||Salt and Pepper|
|To Taste||Hot Sauce|
|Assortment of Dippers|
1. In a large pot over medium heat, warm up the vegetable stock.
2. Add the chopped green onions, onion, tomato, ginger, garlic, cilantro, and soy sauce and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
4. Arrange dippers and dips on serving plates and bowls and keep refrigerated until fondue starts.
5. When you are ready to get started, add salt and pepper and hot sauce to taste.
6. Strain the fondue broth to remove all solid particles.
7. Transfer the vegetable fondue broth into your hot pot fondue pot. Keep the extra broth in a pot on the stovetop on low heat to replenish as needed.
8. Light the fondue burner and adjust the heat.
9. Put a piece of vegetable or tofu onto your fondue fork and cook it into the delicious seafood broth. You can also let items float in the pot and pick them up with chopsticks or a slotted spoon.
10. Transfer the cooked dipper onto a regular fork and dip into one of your fondue dips.
11. Enjoy and repeat but no double-dipping!
Shabu Shabu Dippers
The sky is the limit when it comes to items that can be used as dippers. Here’s a short list to get you started:
- Sliced Shiitake Mushrooms
- Green onions
- Small Squares of Firm Tofu
- Tomato Wedges
- Bok Choy Leaves
- String Mushrooms
- Steamed Broccoli
- Mung Bean Vermicelli
- An assortment of Pre-Made Vegetarian Shabu Dippers From Your Local Asian Grocery Store
If you are not vegetarian or vegan, you can also have beef, chicken, pork, or seafood as dippers. When the guests are done with the fondue part of the evening, you can also break an egg into the boiling left-over broth and have it as soup.
You may also be interested in this other Shabu Fondue Recipe or this Mushroom Fondue Recipe.
The Cuisinart CFO-3SS Electric Fondue Maker
is a great electric fondue pot for shabu.